In this article, I will be discussing about WordPress and what you can do with it.
Ok, so if you are a beginner or just decided to start web development and design. I will first tell you what WordPress is.
WordPress is a CMS that means content management system which helps in building websites with drag and drop functionality. It is easy to use if you learn to use it and it is user-friendly also.
There is more than 30% of the user base. And the best part is if you do not want to use coding, you can do it, as well. As I said, it has a drag and drop facility. But I would suggest you have some knowledge of web development because if you want to customize your website at a whole different level, you will need some basic knowledge.
You can make any type of website like blogging, eCommerce, social media network, portfolio website, and a lot more.
You can learn how to use WordPress from YouTube or through my blogs in the future as well and I also have a YouTube channel so subscribe to me there also. I will be uploading content every week.
and if you have a question that is it free or not?
So, let me clarify that WordPress is free but you have to purchase a domain and hosting for setting up a WordPress website.
I know you are confused but in the next webinar, I will do a practical session so stay tuned and join the Facebook Group to get a notification for the upcoming webinar.
So now I will tell you the pros of using WordPress
- It is easy to install in the hosting panel.
- It is user-friendly and for beginners also.
- Plugins help to increase your website’s functionalities.
- Themes offer multiple options for the specialized niche you selected for example if you want to make an eCommerce website you can use the woo-commerce theme.
- WordPress is well optimized for SEO matters means it is SEO friendly.
- Support for WordPress- There are many people in the WordPress community or forums to get help with the problems you are facing. you find out the community by doing a search typing WordPress community.
- It has ready-made themes and templates for designing.
Do not think that there are any cons while using WordPress
The cons can be that you may have to use a lot of plugins for additional functionality. I will be discussing plugins in the other sections of the webinar.
- There are some vulnerabilities but do not worry about them I will be telling about that as well in the webinar and also I would mention that I am using WordPress so do not worry.
- You can do customizations with your website but still, you do not have the full control to design a website.
- You have to check for updates available for WordPress and the plugins you installed periodically as it needs frequent updates.
- Do not install random plugins just research on that and then install it.
- It can be an expensive option not in the initial stage but later on when you want to stand out.
- You are dependent on the plugins for additional features required because not all plugins are free. In the free version of plugins, you will have the basic features but if you want to have all the functionality of that particular plugin you have to purchase it.
Making WordPress websites secure is very easy.
The first step is to create a strong password which is quite obvious.
and the second thing you can do is install security-related plugins.
I would recommend going for the iThemes plugin because I have been using it for my website and it is working fine.
I will make a blog post on this topic also in a detailed manner.
Now, you may think that why WordPress is popular
This is because as I said before it is easy to use, has large community support, plugins to add features, no coding knowledge is required but it is suggested to have some knowledge.
Companies like TechCrunch, The New Yorker, Sony Music, MTV News, and much more use WordPress.
It also makes SEO optimizations easier.
Setting it up
Installing WordPress is very easy nowadays. Each hosting platform has support for WordPress and you can easily install it.
Now, I will tell you how you can design a WordPress website.
You can make a website through the inbuilt editor but, I would suggest you use a theme builder. A theme builder helps you to change the WordPress theme with some of your customizations to the website.
You may be confused between theme builders and templates.
A template is the pre-build website design used to speed up the process of building a website. It also gives an idea to build a website.
A theme builder an editor which is used to design a website.
If you have any questions you can ask me at the end of the webinar.
Now in the next section let’s discuss plugins
It is a software that has some functions that can be added through installation. It helps in adding features.
Note that not every plugin is good for websites because it may affect your website.
You should not install a lot of plugins as it will slow down the website. You should have the plugins you need the most and research about the plugin you want to install.
Essential plugins that you need and I would recommend are iThemes for security, RankMath for SEO, Elementor for building or designing, W3 cache which helps to optimize the website response. These are some of the plugins but not all.
There are free and paid plugins.
Free plugins are those which provide basic features but if you want to use special features of that plugin you have to purchase it so you can utilize the features fully.
Pros of using plugins
- Plugins are reliable
- It gives few flexibilities and adds features to the website
- It saves time while building a website
Cons of using a plugin
- Not every plugin is good. Doi research first.
- It may slow down the website
- If you download and install similar kinds of plugins they may conflict with each other.
- You have to be careful which choosing a plugin
What kind of research you should do
- You can check the reviews on the internet
- Check the features based on paid and free wares
- Check whether the plugins are ignored, or you can say blacklisted
What are the essential pages you must create while building a website?
You can create these page’s content using a generator except the About Us, Contact Us page.
and for the cookies page, you can use the cookiepolicygenerator.com website.
While generating the contents you will be asked few questions, so answer them correctly or if you are confused then research, and if there are further doubts you can ask me.